Above and below:- Aberaeron © Crown copyright (2013) Visit Wales
The town of Aberaeron that we see today was planned and developed from a small fishing village in the 1800’s by the Rev Alban Gwynne. He designed the harbour which became a key port on the west coast of Wales. There was also a thriving shipbuilding industry where dockyards built both sail and steam vessels.
Many of the original houses that we see today were built in the Regency style and designed by Edward Haycock from Shrewsbury, their occupants being seafaring men who travelled the world during the Victorian age often naming their houses after far off exotic places.
Although the architecture we say today is from the 1800’s there once stood a 12th century fortification on the shoreline at Aberaeron called Castell Cadwgan. Due to erosion from the sea very little remains today of this structure apart from some earth mounds along with the remains of the enclosure bank.
Above:- Aberaeron © Crown copyright (2013) Visit Wales
Copyright © Croeso Net 1998 -